Seeking a long-term software development position that requires strong creativity and problem solving skills.
|Software Development||Web Development||Server Administration|
|Graphic Design||Mathematics||Quality Assurance|
|Problem Solving||Time Management||Customer Service|
Developing and maintaining web sites and applications to run on LAMP and LAPP platforms. Other tasks include server maintenance and client care. My contributions here span a wide range of projects, including:
Much of our current work is focused on the development, maintenance and operation of three separate web sites, each of which fills a different niche in the trading of bitcoins (a decentralized online currency). This requires extreme care in security and data accuracy, as well as strong code testing.
My main focus upon starting here was the maintenance and extension of a client's online training system used for companies with large employee bases. Some of my contributions to this system include:
- A "One Armed Bandit" game, with server controlled (AJAX) winning probability and scheduled prize allocation.
- A "Monster Truck" game in which the player drives a sport truck up and off of a ramp with the ambition of clearing a set of obstructions. Again controlling wins server-side via AJAX.
- The administrative system for managing and reporting on prizes won from those games.
- A system for automating database updates for end clients, synchronizing them with SVN code updates.
Another major focus on this job is the maintenance of "Science Fair In A Box" (sfiab.ca). SFIAB is an open-source system for administering science fairs, used nationwide in Canada, and in parts of the U.S. Much of my contribution is in updating the trunk version of the code to handle multiple fairs simultaneously, as well as alternate fair types. This required a major restructuring of the database and all of the code using it.
The other major focus of this job is to develop and update web sites for various clients. This work is primarily done using HTML5 standards on a LAMP system.
Working both independently and as a team member on the development of computer games. Within my stay at Beanbag Studios, my key accomplishment was the development of the game "Card Games For Dummies" (not yet published). I entered this project in the inital development stages, and carried it through to the final product.
My key contributions to this project are:
- Writing the gameplay logic for eight of the ten included games
- Developing the AI players for competing in each of the games. This included a wide range of necessary AI strength, from simple games such as "Crazy Eights" to more complicated ones like "Spades".
- Initial design of game levels
- Integrating tailored visual and audio artwork into all of the games
- Resolving bugs and adding new features as requested
- Gaining a working knowledge of the language TorqueScript, as well as in-house libaries
- Contributing to in-house libraries with the development of a versatile undo handling system
- Assisting in porting existing code to the Xbox360 platform
- Developing and customizing code to fit the individual needs of clients
- Helping clients build and integrate dynamic scripts into their web sites
- Quality Assurance and product testing
- Troubleshooting technical problems with data capture, code execution and system performance
- Contributing ideas and design suggestions for new versions of the system
- Database administration
- Managing SSL certificates for clients
- Internal network management and IT services
- Designed and developed software to fetch client data, test for errors and conflicting records, and pass it into a master table through ODBC. (PHP, MySQL, HTML, Awk)
- Created instruction and command list generators for ordering, renewing, and implementing SSL certificates for individual clients. (PHP, HTML, Awk, Curl)
- Created a database and web interface for managing unique IP addresses assigned to individual clients. (PHP, MySQL)
- Wrote a series of scripts for generating "canned answers" for client issues. (PHP)
- Design and development of a web form used for deleting oversized e-mails from the server (http://very.weirdly.net/mailmasher.php).
- Built a dynamic web interface allowing customers to sign up for DSL service.
- Created a script that alerts staff when time-sensitive tasks are approaching their due-date.
- Developed a database and series of web forms for tracking inventory.
- http://www.diagrami.com is a web page that I developed for presenting artwork. It makes extensive use of PHP, and AWK. The pages viewed within the Gallery section are generated by a PHP script, using AWK to retrieve their contents from local data files.
- Software that I've developed, as well as written and graphical artwork, can be viewed at http://www.weirdly.net.
- Professional references are available upon request.
Although I participate in a wide range of arts and sports, I spend much of my free time developing software, having discovered my enjoyment of it at a very young age.